THANKSGIVING: Thanksgiving — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts This is the holiday where all the ones you love, like, and even the Uncle Eddie from National Lampoons Christmas vacation will be there. They will show up, eat too much and complain about how miserable they are now that they have eaten enough to feed a group of starving children in Ethiopia for a month. Do we really give thanks? Probably not. The above link may provide some insight into the history of the holiday. We have had Thanksgiving at our house for years and when we do we have 30+ people, great food and a great time. I do in fact enjoy Thanksgiving, even though I do eat too much, like many others do. But what the heck. It is only once per year.
So let’s try something new for a change. Separate Thanksgiving into 2 words Thanks and Giving. Now let’s reverse them and now we have Giving Thanks. Now let’s do this one more level. What 5 things do you Give Thanks for this “Thanksgiving” Holiday.
- To God and the freedom to worship God in my own way without prosecution.
- My wonderful wife, my family (sisters, brother, children, grandchildren) and our good health.
- My mom & dad who raised me to stand on my own 2 feet, be responsible for my own actions and to be honorable in word and deed.
- To my many life experiences (good and bad) that taught me that nothing in life is free and everything worth something is to be earned and worked for.
- My country The United States of America for letting me serve in the U.S. Army, which reinforced my dads teachings that loyalty, duty, respect, service, honor, integrity, courage still mean something.
So take this challenge: List 3 or 5 or maybe even 10 things you are truly thankful for, not only on Thanksgiving, but all year long. Holidays are great, but over time we tend to forget the real reason for each of them.
CHRISTMAS: http://www.history.com/topics/christmas is right around the corner. Black Friday – WOW. How many presents will you buy, how elaborate or expensive will they be, and how many will even remember what they were 6 months or less after Christmas. It is time to change this tradition and instead of buying presents, maybe helping someone in real need. Something to consider. I am.